Apr 26, 2011

'Clarke' Pattern Exploration & Survey Rhino

While the Rhino is hailed as the workhorse of the Adeptus Astartes, it is none the less part of the massive STC database; accessible from any Forge World throughout the Imperium. While it is true that the Adeptus Astartes are the predominant users of this vehicle, many other branches of the Imperium utilize this rugged and reliable APC; such as the Adeptus Soroitas and the Adeptus Arbites. 

What many fail to realize is that once, on the fringes of the Imperium, many a Forge World will produce the vehicle for the highest bidder - creating a grey market for 'second-hand' Rhinos for any enterprising individual with a wish for an armored transport. 

Although the 'Clarke' Pattern is not a distinct pattern as such, it has come into such common usage on the fringes that many consider it a part of the Rhino family. Predominately used by Rogue Traders or any of the Adeptus Mechanicus subdivisions whenever they need a reliable transport for a survey or exploration mission, the 'Clarke' will do the job. 


5th Edition Stats:
Book of the Arbitrator Stats:
Other Notes
So I've been rather busy painting as you can see. This is the first time that I've actually managed to paint a vehicle to a satisfactory degree. I've always had the problem with vehicles that they never tend to go 'pop' once I'm done with 'em. Those large, flat areas are the bane of me and my usual style of base-coat, wash, base-coat again approach to painting miniatures. But this time... I've done it!

And to keep the post from being just a pure "Oh, look what I've made" I also included a couple of stats for the vehicle for use in both 5th Edition as well as Book of the Arbitrator - where it incidently is going to feature in the opening game for that campaign I've been mulling about for the last few posts!

Painting up a vehicle has made me pay attention to the fact that a humble Rhino is almost unkillable with a Lascannon in Book of the Arbitrator! I have no idea why I didn't pick up on this before, but I guess I'll have to compile some new rules for vehicles in the near future - the way the armor system works right now isn't quite right. Maybe I should set up some conversion tables from the various Editions into BOA? With a lot of guesstimation of course, it should prove a good help. 

Anyway, cheers and keep the comments coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment